Calling all locavores! This Friday night, we’re setting up shop at the Nashville Farmers Market. Looking to get your fill of local produce and learn a bit more about the upcoming Festival? We’ll be on hand to give you the dish on the festival and giving away a deluxe gourmet recipe basket curated by none other than local favorite, Margot McCormack of Margot Café. All of the ingredients to prepare Margot’s divine Okra and Corn Stew will be included in the basket, and sourced from the market from local farmers. You’ll have all you need to prepare this delicious recipe at home!
Stop by and say hello!
Okra and Corn Stew
1 large onion (preferably vidalia)
1 cup celery
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 pound fresh okra, chopped and roasted in a hot skillet or grilled
4 ears corn, blanched and taken off the cob
2 cups chopped tomatoes
4 cups corn stock
2 tablespoons butter
This is a great vegetarian dish but a good piece of smoked ham or sausage could be added.
- Blanch corn in salted water. (Do not discard the water.)
- When cool, take corn off the cob and reserve. Place cobs back in the blanching water and simmer 1/2 hour. Strain and reserve this for later use in the recipe.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot
- Add onion, celery and peppers and cook gently for 3-5 minutes
- Add spices and tomatoes and let cook for 2 minutes
- Add okra and corn and 4 cups of the corn stock
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until stew has reduced and flavors have blended
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and check seasoning before serving
This stew is great served over rice or grits as a main course or as an accompaniment to chicken, pork or fish.